Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gomiramen

Can I claim a lifetime learning credit for a foreign school in the “Int'l Schools in Fed Loan Program" as “deferment only”? If no, why does TT still give me the credit?

My foreign school is on the “International Schools in Federal Loan Program” list, but its status is “deferment only” (not “eligible”).  The school does not appear in a FAFSA search.  https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/schoolSearch?locale=en_EN

In Turbo Tax, I check that the school is in a foreign country and enter its foreign address.  Turbo Tax does _not_ ask if the school is on either “International Schools in Federal Loan Program” list or the FAFSA program.  Then TurboTax gives me the lifetime learning credit.  

Are either the above list or FAFSA membership required to claim the lifetime learning credit at a foreign school?  If yes, then why does Turbo Tax still give me the lifetime learning credit without asking me about either of them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I claim a lifetime learning credit for a foreign school in the “Int'l Schools in Fed Loan Program" as “deferment only”? If no, why does TT still give me the credit?

I don't work for Intuit, so I would have no idea about the internal programming and cross-checks in TurboTax, but IRS publication 970 www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf says that an educational institution located outside the United States only has to participate in the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid (FSA) programs, not that it has to be eligible for new student loans.  As there are many, many thousands of foreign educational institutions, I suggest you follow the Publication 970 advice: "The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies