I didn't recieve a 1098T in the mail but I see it ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn't recieve a 1098T in the mail but I see it online. It says ineligible payment, paid by financial aid. What does that mean?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

I didn't recieve a 1098T in the mail but I see it online. It says ineligible payment, paid by financial aid. What does that mean?

You will need to call the school to clarify. It sounds like your tuition was paid through some form of financial aid.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

That's a new one. It must be something your school does on it's own. You'll have to ask them. It's not an IRS requirement.  

"Paid by financial aid" does not preclude you, or your parents, from claiming a tuition credit or deduction. Student aid may include loans as well as scholarships.  Loans are definitely eligible for a tax credit. Grants may be, depending on the conditions of the grant.  On the other hand, if this is your school's way of saying it was a condition of your grant that it be used to pay tuition, then they are right, you are ineligible.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings