turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I attended a short-term computer programming bootcamp(with General Assembly). Does that qualify as a certificate program?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

I attended a short-term computer programming bootcamp(with General Assembly). Does that qualify as a certificate program?

Perhaps.  Please read the information in the link below concerning your situation.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5971504

did anyone find out if we can get tuition tax break on tax returns for bootcamp certification programs?

Hal_Al
Level 15

The answer is yes if you actually got a certificate or credential.  The more important question is was the school an "eligible institution". 

To be eligible for the tuition credits or tuition & fees deduction, the course must be taken at "an eligible institution". The school should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution. In general, an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution, including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. If they issue a 1098-T they are probably an eligible institution.

Enter your school at the link below, to see if it's on the dept. of education list.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/schoolSearch?locale=en_EN

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies