Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sagark546

I am trying to file the tax and i get an summary stating that i am eligible for lifetime learning credits but not american opportunity credits

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

I am trying to file the tax and i get an summary stating that i am eligible for lifetime learning credits but not american opportunity credits

To be eligible for the American Opportunity Tax credit, you need to meet the following requirements:

• You must be pursuing a four-year degree or other recognized credential.
• You must be enrolled as at least half time student for at least one academic period during the year.
• You can’t claim the AOTC or the former Hope credit for more than four tax years
• You cannot have a felony drug conviction on your record.

Things that can keep you from claiming the credit :

- If you are working on a graduate degree
 - The credit begins to phase out for single taxpayers who have adjusted gross income between $80,000 and $90,000 and for joint tax filers when adjusted gross income is between $160,000 and $180,000. The credit is unavailable to taxpayers whose adjusted gross income exceeds the $90,000 and $180,000 thresholds.
- If you have already claimed the credit four times.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Fern

To be eligible for the American Opportunity Tax credit, you need to meet the following requirements:

• You must be pursuing a four-year degree or other recognized credential.
• You must be enrolled as at least half time student for at least one academic period during the year.
• You can’t claim the AOTC or the former Hope credit for more than four tax years
• You cannot have a felony drug conviction on your record.

Things that can keep you from claiming the credit :

- If you are working on a graduate degree
 - The credit begins to phase out for single taxpayers who have adjusted gross income between $80,000 and $90,000 and for joint tax filers when adjusted gross income is between $160,000 and $180,000. The credit is unavailable to taxpayers whose adjusted gross income exceeds the $90,000 and $180,000 thresholds.
- If you have already claimed the credit four times.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies