turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099MISC with money as a stipend for grad school tuition. How do I add that? It is not business income it went to tuition.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PhyllisG

I received a 1099MISC with money as a stipend for grad school tuition. How do I add that? It is not business income it went to tuition.

If you are not required to file a tax return because your total income is less than your filing status threshold ($12,000 for Single) then you should not file a return. You will keep the Form 1099-MISC for your records, unless an amount is entered in box 7 of the Form 1099-MISC.  If the amount is $400 or more, then you are required to file a return.

TurboTaxTomK has provided various instructions on how to enter the stipend into TurboTax, in particular because you should have received a Form W-2 rather than a Form 1099-MISC. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5985132

Thank you for your response. I am a full time teacher (so I do have an income) and need to file. The stipend was toward a masters degree that I received last year. SO it appears my income was larger than it was because the 1099MISC had to be added with my income. I can do what the steps above say and subtract that income?
PhyllisG

Yes.  If it was not reported properly.

PLEASE HELP :(   I did everything directed above however is appears that there is still a SE Tax on that money. There is a Schedule SE filled out that shows tax paid on the stipend.
PhyllisG

I am sorry that the instructions didn't work, so try the "Other Common Income" section instead:

• Select Federal in the menu to the left
• Select the Income & Expenses tab
• Scroll to Other Common Income
• Click Start next to Form 1099-MISC
• Enter your Form 1099-MISC income exactly as shown on your form.  Your entries should mirror the form 1099-MISC.  
• Enter Stipend as the reason, then click Continue
• Check None Apply from the uncommon situation list 
• Continue navigating through the prompts
• Select "No" to questions regarding work and earned money

Your entry will appear on line 21 of the Form 1040 Schedule 1 as "Other Income", and the SE form will not be generated.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies