Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am an unemployed student. What form do I use to file my taxes? And can I use the hope credit and lifetime learning credit?

which credit should I use, the hope credit, the lifetime learning credit or the american opportunity credit?

I have no income, can i still use form 1040?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I am an unemployed student. What form do I use to file my taxes? And can I use the hope credit and lifetime learning credit?

If you have no income, and no tax due on that income, you cannot use the lifetime learning credit, nor the $1500 part of the AOC.  Those credits can only be used to reduce your taxable income to zero, and with no taxable income, they would not help you.  There is a portion of the AOC that can be paid to you in cash, whether you have taxable income or not, but only if you are at least a half-time student, and not a dependent of your parents.  If your parents can claim you as a dependent, you cannot claim this credit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

With no income how are you paying your tuition? How old are you? Can your parents claim you as a dependent?
Anita01

If you have no income, and no tax due on that income, you cannot use the lifetime learning credit, nor the $1500 part of the AOC.  Those credits can only be used to reduce your taxable income to zero, and with no taxable income, they would not help you.  There is a portion of the AOC that can be paid to you in cash, whether you have taxable income or not, but only if you are at least a half-time student, and not a dependent of your parents.  If your parents can claim you as a dependent, you cannot claim this credit.

And even if the parents can't claim him, if the student is under 24, has a least one living parent, and has earned income less than one half his support that portion of the AOC isn't paid beyond offsetting other taxes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies