Solved: I am almost 19, a full-time college student, and plan on moving out (2019). For 2019 taxes, will I be able to claim independent? I pay for my schooling, phone, food, etc

I am almost 19, a full-time college student, and plan on moving out (2019). For 2019 taxes, will I be able to claim independent? I pay for my schooling, phone, food, etc

My parents only pay my car payment and I live at home, but buy my own food, toiletries, etc and I work part-time. I feel as if I provide more than 50% for myself already but I don’t pay rent at home. Will moving out make me independent?

To not be a claimed as a dependent, you must provide more than half your own support; or not live with your parents more than half the nights of the year; or both.

For support, you can't "feel" it, you need to prove it with math. You can use worksheet 2 here. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

For living with your parents, they can consider you to live with them if you are temporarily absent, and school is usually considered a temporary absence if it is reasonable for them to expect you to return home when school is over (on breaks, summer, etc.)  If you move out and really establish an independent living place, then you aren't temporarily absent from your parents home any more.  But there is no black letter rule on this, it depends on each person's facts and circumstances.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**