alweinberg4

I am a student filing taxes, do I use my school address for my state taxes or the one on my license?

moe1

Generally, this depends on a couple of things. If you're attending school in the same state as the address on your license, it probably doesn't matter but your license address is most likely your permanent address. That's the address that i would use.

Also, if you're attending school out of state, did you work in your home state and the state where you go to school? If so, you most likely paid state (and possibly local) taxes in two different states. If that's the case, then you most likely need to file a state tax return for each state that you paid state (and possibly local) taxes. You should check the tax laws for the state in which you attended school to see if they stipulate which address you should use. If they don't require a local address, you may want to use your permanent address.

Some locations also require a local tax return. For example, in Baltimore County, Maryland there aren't separate local tax returns. However, when I was in college my town also had a local tax return. During those years I filed (1) federal tax return, (2) Maryland Tax Return, (3) Ohio tax return, and (4) a local tax return.

moe1