Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a student filing taxes, do I use my school address for my state taxes or the one on my license?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
moe1

I am a student filing taxes, do I use my school address for my state taxes or the one on my license?

Generally, this depends on a couple of things. If you're attending school in the same state as the address on your license, it probably doesn't matter but your license address is most likely your permanent address. That's the address that i would use.

Also, if you're attending school out of state, did you work in your home state and the state where you go to school? If so, you most likely paid state (and possibly local) taxes in two different states. If that's the case, then you most likely need to file a state tax return for each state that you paid state (and possibly local) taxes. You should check the tax laws for the state in which you attended school to see if they stipulate which address you should use. If they don't require a local address, you may want to use your permanent address.

Some locations also require a local tax return. For example, in Baltimore County, Maryland there aren't separate local tax returns. However, when I was in college my town also had a local tax return. During those years I filed (1) federal tax return, (2) Maryland Tax Return, (3) Ohio tax return, and (4) a local tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
moe1

Generally, this depends on a couple of things. If you're attending school in the same state as the address on your license, it probably doesn't matter but your license address is most likely your permanent address. That's the address that i would use.

Also, if you're attending school out of state, did you work in your home state and the state where you go to school? If so, you most likely paid state (and possibly local) taxes in two different states. If that's the case, then you most likely need to file a state tax return for each state that you paid state (and possibly local) taxes. You should check the tax laws for the state in which you attended school to see if they stipulate which address you should use. If they don't require a local address, you may want to use your permanent address.

Some locations also require a local tax return. For example, in Baltimore County, Maryland there aren't separate local tax returns. However, when I was in college my town also had a local tax return. During those years I filed (1) federal tax return, (2) Maryland Tax Return, (3) Ohio tax return, and (4) a local tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies