turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file tuition expenses if it was partially reimbursed by my employer?

I received a 1098-T from my college. It only has the total amount $3232.50 billed to me that I paid out of pocket. However, my employer paid for partial of the amount via reimbursement back to me.The total I paid out of pocket is $1932.50 and my employer reimbursed $1300. I know the 1300 will be on my W2. My question is how will I file this on my taxes? Do i file it separate from the 1098-T since 1932.50 won't reflect the same number on the form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KennethB

Yes, there is a way for you enter the information from your Form 1098-T as well as the amount that you actually paid for tuition. Look for the link on the screen in where you enter the information from the Form 1098-T to expand the page and enter the actual amounts paid for tuition. 

You will find the link directly under the entry for Box 2 of the 1098-T.  It says “What if this is not what I paid to this school?”. Click that link and the program will allow you to enter the actual amounts that were paid for tuition. 

As you progress through the education section of your tax return, there will be additional screens to enter amounts paid for books, supplies, and other school expenses.

Enter the amounts included on your W-2 exactly as they are presented on the form. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KennethB

Yes, there is a way for you enter the information from your Form 1098-T as well as the amount that you actually paid for tuition. Look for the link on the screen in where you enter the information from the Form 1098-T to expand the page and enter the actual amounts paid for tuition. 

You will find the link directly under the entry for Box 2 of the 1098-T.  It says “What if this is not what I paid to this school?”. Click that link and the program will allow you to enter the actual amounts that were paid for tuition. 

As you progress through the education section of your tax return, there will be additional screens to enter amounts paid for books, supplies, and other school expenses.

Enter the amounts included on your W-2 exactly as they are presented on the form. 

Carl
Level 15

Basically, enter the 1098-T exactly as printed. Then later screens asks for information not included on the 1098-T.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies