lana-del-rey

Hi, I’m entering my information form for 1098-T, I’m putting on my education expenses, and I was wondering if a laptop I paid for in 2018 for school can be put in my expenses for school?

MinhT1

If you claim the American Opportunity credit, then the cost of a computer needed for your studies can be included as qualified education expenses. However, the laptop must be paid for in the year you claim the credit. So if the laptop was paid for in 2018, you can only claim it in 2018 if you claim the American Opportunity credit in 2018.

In this case, you'll need to amend your 2018 tax return.

NCperson

@MinhT1 - that computer has to be more than  a 'need'; it has to be a REQUIREMENT of the class is my understanding of 'tuition and related fees' for Box 1. 

Everyone in this day and age needs a computer, but that doesn't make it a REQUIREMENT of the class.