turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I am employed and my wife is on F1 Visa and I paid her college expenses. I have 1098-T from the university.

Should I also add it under Child and Dependent Care credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Hi, I am employed and my wife is on F1 Visa and I paid her college expenses. I have 1098-T from the university.

If she is a nonresident, you both will need to sign an election to file married filing jointly declaring your worldwide income. Otherwise you will need to file a married filing separately 1040 and she will need to file a nonresident 1040NR as married filing separately.

If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen or a resident alien and the other spouse is a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat the nonresident spouse as a U.S. resident.

To make this choice:

Attach a statement, signed by both spouses, to your joint return for the first tax year for which the choice applies. It should contain the following information:

• A declaration that one spouse was a nonresident alien and the other spouse a U.S. citizen or resident alien on the last day of your tax year, and that you choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year.

• The name, address, and identification number of each spouse.

You will need to attach this statement to your printed TurboTax return and mail to the tax authorities.  You cannot e-file your return.

Please see page 8 in Publication 519 for more information.

Publication 519

You can enter the 1098-T into TurboTax, enter 1098t tuition and fees in the search box at the top of the screen and click Go to 1098-T

Under child and dependent care you can enter that your spouse was a student in 2018.

So I searched for 1098-T and entered the details there. My question is there are two tabs in turbotax. Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) and Child and Dependent Care Credit. Should I enter the details under both of them?.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

The 1098-T only needs to be entered under Expenses and Scholarships.  I don't know why you are seeing Child and Dependent care credit for the 1098-T.

No it says Dependent care right, So my spouse is not working right now and we are filing married jointly. So had that question of whether I can enter it there too as Dependent care.

If you paid for care for your child, dependent, or disabled spouse while you worked or went to school, you may get a nice tax break - This is under Child and Dependent Care Credit.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, if you have a child and your wife was a student and you were working, and you paid child care in 2018, then you can take the Child and Dependent Care Credit.

Ok, I considered my wife as dependent as she is not working and she is a student. So thats why I had a question on whether to fill it or not.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

No, the child and dependent care credit is only for a permanently disabled spouse or a child.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies