turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Grandmother Paying Tuition but I am not her Dependent. Can She Still Receive that Tax Benefit?

I am 28 years old, I have a part-time job, and I will file as an independent (including student loans, I will still be covering +50% of my expenses this year). However, my grandmother would like to help out with my graduate school expenses by paying for the tuition. She is going to make the payment directly to the school so that the transaction is in her name and from her account. I imagine that the 1098-T form will still be sent to me in my name. Can she receive credit for this? I seem to only find information about parents claiming this credit since the student is their dependent. However, since I am independent, and my grandmother is merely offering this as a gift of sorts, how would we go about ensuring that she receiving the tax credit? Can she simply claim it on her taxes and I continue to file taxes independently as I normally would while, of course, leaving the 1098-T out of my files?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Grandmother Paying Tuition but I am not her Dependent. Can She Still Receive that Tax Benefit?

No, she cannot claim any education expenses she paid for you on her tax return since you are not a dependent on her tax return.

Grandma cannot get any tax credit for her generous gift, unfortunately for her.  But since you are the student and are NOT being claimed as someone else's dependent, you can enter the education credit on your own return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies