ninaestark

Graduate student with scholarship received a 1098. Pay for school out of pocket, not employed do not have a w2, didnt qualify for a refund and do not owe back. Do I need tofilethisyear

Spoke with a turbo tax rep on the phone, had a bad connection and couldn't hear everything during the explanation but he told me that I didn't need to file this year. Please help, thank you!!

MinhT

As a graduate student, you do not qualify for the American Opportunity which is the only education credit which has a refundable portion.

Therefore, in your case, if you do have income, you are not required to file a tax return for 2016.

MinhT