turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kyalla96

Garnishing My Refund

Normally they garnish my taxes for student loans. If I claim my daughter will they garnish that part of my taxes as well? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Garnishing My Refund

They should not seize your 2019 refund for student loan debt.  

https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Garnishing My Refund

You should be aware---in the future, if you owe student loan debt, child support or back taxes, if your refund is being seized for your debt, it will not matter what the refund is for--they will seize all of it up to the amount you owe, whether any part of the refund is based on child-related credits or not.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Garnishing My Refund

If you claim a child as a dependent, that will probably give you a tax credit and increase your refund.  So yes it is subject to seizure if you have a debt offset.  There is really no way to separate "your part" of your tax return from dependent's "part" of the refund.  You are one taxpayer with certain income, deductions and credits and it all goes in the same blender.

However, if your dependent has income and files a tax return, your dependent's tax refund is never taken for your debt; and a child who files a tax return can still be your dependent if they meet the usual requirements. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies