turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lwilsey86

Full time student

I began a full-time graduate program in mid-August of 2016. Is this time-frame long enough for me to claim that I was a full-time student?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Full time student

You have two questions in one: the first one is the full-time student status, the second one is the mid-August time frame. 

To answer your first question - Yes, you are considered to be full-time if the school's form 1098-T has the box checked that you were "at least half-time" student. If you don't have the form, ask the school if they consider you a full-time student, when you start doesn't matter; your course load does. 

Your second question - the IRS says that you must be a full-time student for any part of 5 months" during the tax year so your time frame does qualify an education credit. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Full time student

You have two questions in one: the first one is the full-time student status, the second one is the mid-August time frame. 

To answer your first question - Yes, you are considered to be full-time if the school's form 1098-T has the box checked that you were "at least half-time" student. If you don't have the form, ask the school if they consider you a full-time student, when you start doesn't matter; your course load does. 

Your second question - the IRS says that you must be a full-time student for any part of 5 months" during the tax year so your time frame does qualify an education credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies