turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dsinger54

form 8962

I need to add info and update form 8962 for 2018 return filed per IRS request. When I pull up the form it will not let me enter data.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

form 8962

Use this procedure for a Form 8962 requested by the IRS -

1. Sign into your account with the same login you used when you filed your 2018 return.
  2. When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state.  Add a State 2018.JPG

3. This will take you back to the 2018 online tax return.
  4. Select the Federal tab
  5. Select the Health Insurance tab.
  6. Answer the questions about your health insurance which includes entering your 1095-A.
  7. Select Tax Tools (found on the left panel), then select Print Center below it.
  8. Choose Print, save, or preview this year’s return.
  9. Select View or print.
  10. Select Form 8962 and Form 1040 and print them.
  11. Send the following to the IRS address or FAX number given in your IRS letter:
  • Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit
  • Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
  • A copy of the IRS letter that you received.

Only if the refund or owed amount has changed: Also include your Form 1040

Carl
Level 15

form 8962

The 8962 is only necessary and required if you have a 1095-A. So if you don't have a 1095-A then you have no need for the 8962.

Now my guess is that you are probably covered on your parent's plan, and they did receive a 1095-A with your name listed on it as a covered person under their plan. So basically you need their 1095-A. Then in the program you *MUST* indicate that you do have a 1095-A and work it through to enter all the data from that form, at which point the 8962 will be created and filled in by the program.

form 8962

I am trying to enter data on form 8962 and it does not allow it. For 2020

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

form 8962

You enter the amounts from your 1095-A into TurboTax and the program uses all of your other tax data to figure the Premium Tax Credit or or any excess credit that needs to be repaid.  You don't actually enter anything directly on the Form 8962.   Have you already filed your tax return?  

If you received a letter from the IRS requesting Form 8962 and want more info, visit:   The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2019

You have to complete and file Form 8962 with your income tax return if any of the below applies to you.

• You qualify for the Premium Tax Credit (PTC) for 2020, which is for those who are enrolled, or whose family member is enrolled, in a qualified health plan
  • Advance payment of the premium tax credit (APTC) was paid for you or another family member
  • APTC was paid for a person you told the Health Insurance Marketplace would be in your family, but you didn’t include that person in your return   @minike
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies