Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RGB201

Form 8863

On page 2, box 23, I cannot get the program to change the answer on the 8863 form to Yes.  It asks if the American Opportunity credit ha been claimed in any of the 4 previous tax years. 

When entring the information in the  program, the box is checked yes but the form still shows No.

Do I have to remove my child as a dependent and then re-enter her information and education expenses again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RGB201

Form 8863

I even deletd my daughter from my return and re-entered the information.  I answered Yes to the question however the box in Form 8863 Line 23 still shows No.  

Form 8863

Same problem, Form 8863 line 23 is automatically checked as Y even though system is reading we filed form prior year.  How do we go about changing this question or is it not relevant?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Form 8863

It's relevant if it's trying to give you the American Opportunity Credit, but you're only eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Go back through your education information and change the response, if necessary.  In TurboTax Online:

1. If you don’t see 2022 TAXES in the left pane, scroll down and select the dropdown to the right of Deductions & Credits and select Let’s get startedPick up where you left off, or Review/Edit
    • Otherwise, in the left pane, select the dropdown to the right of Federal, then select Deductions & Credits 
  2. On the  Your tax breaks page, scroll down and select the Show more dropdown to the right of Education
  3. Select  Revisit to the right of Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
  4. Proceed through the screens until you get to one titled Had [the student] Earned Four Years of College Credit Before 2022?      On this page, answer Yes, if that's correct, then select Continue
  5. Answer appropriately on the next screen -- Did [the student] Ever Receive the American Opportunity or Hope Credit?  If you answer Yes, you'll also need to enter the number of years each credit was claimed.      Then select Continue, and proceed through the remaining questions

You'll see which credit you qualify for on the Next, We'll See Which Credit Will Save You the Most screen at the end of the education interview.

@taxman2373 

Form 8863

I am having the same problem as the other users-I checked "yes,...received one or both of these credits in a prior year." I then put 1 for "Number of Years the AOC was claimed". It is still reflecting as "no" on Form 8863 line 23.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Form 8863

Line 23, of form 8863, is poorly worded, "Has the American opportunity credit been claimed for this
student for any 4 prior tax years?"

It doesn't mean was it claimed any number between 1 and 4 times. It means has it already claimed 4 times regardless of whether the the 4 years were in a row. No is the right answer. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies