Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scamposanto
Returning Member

For work sometimes I need to come to school, pick up equipment and then head to the gig for our students. Can I write these miles off?

Hello,

Sometimes I need to come to my work to pick up equipment for my students' performances and then head to the venue. Can I claim these miles? I don't have them logged in Quickbooks or anything but I do have the list of gigs. 

Thank you! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For work sometimes I need to come to school, pick up equipment and then head to the gig for our students. Can I write these miles off?

Yes, you can.  The IRS requires you to keep a timely log of your mileage and it looks like you're halfway there, since you have a list of gigs and (presumably) the dates.  

Since the school is your regular place of employment, you can't take the miles to there, but you can take the miles from school to your venue and back again.  You can probably calculate these distances using Google Maps or a similar app.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can.  The IRS requires you to keep a timely log of your mileage and it looks like you're halfway there, since you have a list of gigs and (presumably) the dates.  

Since the school is your regular place of employment, you can't take the miles to there, but you can take the miles from school to your venue and back again.  You can probably calculate these distances using Google Maps or a similar app.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies