turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kingzay17

F8863-528-03 - Each Student SSN that has a value on Form 8863, Line 21 must not be the same as that in another Form 8863 for the same tax year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JosephF8
Expert Alumni

F8863-528-03 - Each Student SSN that has a value on Form 8863, Line 21 must not be the same as that in another Form 8863 for the same tax year.

This means that the education credit for this SSN has been claimed on another return

This return has been rejected by the IRS because there's a student listed on Form 8863, line 21, whose Social Security Number (SSN) has been listed on another Form 8863 for this tax year.

Verify the student’s SSN is entered correctly. If you see a mistake in the SSN, correct it and resubmit the return.

If the student information is correct as you submitted it, then you can't electronically file. You must print and file your return by mail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Laura05

is there a way to fix it and file them electronically? 

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

You would need to find out who claimed an education credit regarding this student. 

I suggest you ask the student if they entered the 1098-T on their tax return and if they received an education credit. (if TurboTax generated Form 8863)

If the student is your dependent, and you claim the student on your tax return, only you should get the credit. 

How to fix it? 

Once you find out who claimed the student's credit, you have two options. 

You can delete the documents and forms relating to the education section, which includes deleting your 8863 and your education credit. Now you can e-file your return. Next, after that original return has processed, you can amend your return and claim the education credit if the person that also claimed the education credit amends their tax return to take that credit off. 

You can leave the education credit on your return however you will not be able to e-file. You will need to print and mail the return in. The IRS will make an investigation regarding the credit being claimed on two returns and will determine who should get the credit. The taxpayer claiming the credit in error will most likely owe tax and/or interest and penalties. 

The IRS is extremely overwhelmed and the idea of mailing in a paper return is not a good one. If you get a refund without the education credit, I suggest you do that first and try to correct the error with amending.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same issue. I first claimed the tax credit myself as parent (my child as dependent) then amended the tax return not claiming it, so my child can claim by filing an independent tax return.  After my child tax return was rejected, I called TurboTax support and was advised to wait till my tax is processed.  However, it is still rejected.  From this post, I realize will have to file a paper return.  

Thanks for the reply.  I wish I had read the post before trying to figuring out why my child tax return was rejected many times. 

xiaomingcen-gmai
Returning Member

how did it go? Was your child's return processed and refunded?

Manage cookies