Does being a student for 3 months in college help increase the refund? I spent more than a thousand dollars for school stuff.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does being a student for 3 months in college help increase the refund? I spent more than a thousand dollars for school stuff.

I added student loan information while filing as well. Also, I already submitted my tax return. So, if that helps, I'd like to know how much and what I can do to amend it.
1 Reply
Level 15

NOpe. If you were not "at least" a half time college student for "at least" 5 months in the tax year, then you have no qualified education expenses to claim. Understand what the IRS counts as a month too. As an example, if you were in your forth academic year of college and graduated on may 1st, then you get credit for 5 months, even though you were only "in college" for 1 day in may - the day you graduated.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings