lauraviars

Do you receive a 1098-T when wages are garnished?

Hi! My husband currently has his wages garnished by Pioneer Credit Recovery for a student loan. Do you receive a 1098-T for interest paid when wages are being garnished? We are not expecting a refund this year, but I wasn't sure if I should wait on that form before filing, or if they would even send one out in the first place? Thanks in advance!

The student loan interest paid is reported on an IRS Form 1098-E.  If any amounts were paid on the loan then there should also be interest paid.  You should be receiving the 1098-E.

The student loan interest paid is entered on a tax return as an Adjustment to Income which reduces your Adjusted Gross Income thereby reducing your taxable income after deductions, lowering your tax liability.

Carl

There is also the high probability that the loan is no longer a "qualified" loan, since it's apparent the debt was turned over to a collection agency.  If so, then you will not be receiving a 1098-E and absolutely nothing concerning the loan is deductible on any tax return.