Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do you receive a 1098-T when wages are garnished?

Hi! My husband currently has his wages garnished by Pioneer Credit Recovery for a student loan. Do you receive a 1098-T for interest paid when wages are being garnished? We are not expecting a refund this year, but I wasn't sure if I should wait on that form before filing, or if they would even send one out in the first place? Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The student loan interest paid is reported on an IRS Form 1098-E.  If any amounts were paid on the loan then there should also be interest paid.  You should be receiving the 1098-E.

The student loan interest paid is entered on a tax return as an Adjustment to Income which reduces your Adjusted Gross Income thereby reducing your taxable income after deductions, lowering your tax liability.

Carl
Level 15

There is also the high probability that the loan is no longer a "qualified" loan, since it's apparent the debt was turned over to a collection agency.  If so, then you will not be receiving a 1098-E and absolutely nothing concerning the loan is deductible on any tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies