Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent or not? Full time college student living at school. Who uses 1098-T?

I am confused on this question, I have a full time student who was living in another state for 7 months out of the year for college. I still support her 100%, but she also had a few jobs part time and I think she made more than 6300 dollars (Waiting on confirmation). 

Would I put that she still lived with me for the full year? Count the months she was living here, when not at school?

Is she still considered a dependent? She is under 24 years old (20 to be exact). 

For her 1098-T, who would enter it? Her or me? If she is required to file a tax return (Depending on how much she made). 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, she can be your dependent while away at college. If she is under 24 and a full time student and you supported her 100%, then she is your dependent.

Enter that she lived with you for the entire year (temporary absences while in school do not count). The 1098-T form is entered on your return because she is your dependent even if she is required to file a return. If she is required to file, she will indicate that someone else is claiming her as a dependent.

See the FAQ links below for claiming your child (exception for the living with you) and whether your daughter will need to file her own return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901402-do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-dependent

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Another question regarding this. After entering her info it says she has to file a return on 3500 of the amount received from school as unearned income. Will she have to use the 1098T for that? Because if she had made 5000 in come + the 3500 in unearned income, does that mean she made 8500 and need to file a tax return?
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

What is the $3,500 unearned income from?
Unearned income is:

Interest, dividend, or investment income
Retirement or Social Security income
Alimony or child support
Unemployment or worker's comp
Gifts, prizes, awards, or winnings
Inheritances
Income received while incarcerated, even if it involves active work

Sorry, my mistake. The program says

it turns out child's education assistance counts as income
That's because scholarships and other education assistance are considered taxable income if they exceed child's education expenses, if the money was used to pay for nonqualified expenses or if child was not enrolled in a degree, certificate or credential program at an eligible school. Child will need to file a tax return to include this 3500 amount taxable income.

(I assume because that is the amount that was used to pay for room and board).

This means, if she did make around 5000 in working income she would have to file right? Because the 3500 will make it 8500. Will she need to enter the amounts using the 1098-T or will she just have to take note of the amount and add it in her tax return?
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If her scholarship was spent on room and board, then those amounts would be taxable and she would enter the amounts in the education section from her 1098-T form on her return.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

See also this for reference: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3673629">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3673629</a>

Thank you, so, that means, I would not enter it in my tax return, right? Do I delete the entry for her education information? I will take a look at the link.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

That is correct. Your student will enter the 1098-T on her return in this case. However, you can still claim her as your dependent on your return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies