Do I need to file my own taxes if I'm a dependent?
If someone is claiming you as a dependent, you might need to do your own taxes. If you find yourself saying, “Yes, that’s me,” to anything below, the IRS requires that you file a tax return of your own.
- You earned more than $6,300.
- You have more than $1,050 of unearned income. Unearned income is money that you get without working like interest and dividends.
- Your gross income was more than the larger of (a) $1,050 or (b) your earned income (up to $5,950) plus $350.
- You had net earnings of at least $400 from your business or self-employment.
- You had tax taken out of your paychecks and you want it back.
We think you’re the best person to do your taxes. We’re here to help if you have any questions along the way.