or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tgore3rd
Returning Member

Computer as Education deduction

My spouse and I purchased a computer last year primarily for her college courses.  Can we claim this as an education expense?  The computer was financed by me (in my name), but we file jointly.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Bsch4477
Level 15

Generally, if your computer is a necessary requirement for enrollment or attendance at an educationalinstitution, the IRS deems it a qualifying expense. If you are using the computer simply out of convenience, it most likely does not qualify for a tax credit. It doesn’t matter who actually paid for it. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Bsch4477
Level 15

Generally, if your computer is a necessary requirement for enrollment or attendance at an educationalinstitution, the IRS deems it a qualifying expense. If you are using the computer simply out of convenience, it most likely does not qualify for a tax credit. It doesn’t matter who actually paid for it. 

View solution in original post

Carl
Level 15

If the need for a computer or Internet access was clearly identified in any one course syllabus for any course she was enrolled in, then the purchase of the computer would fall under the auspices of the 'Lab fees and Equipment" category.

An example would be if she was required to submit assignments on line. While a computer may not have been clearly identified as a student requirement, if submitting assignments online was, then it's obvious you can't do that without a computer.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings