vp2014

Can private school tuition from a non-profit school be deducted on my taxes?

Can i deduct private school K-12 tuition from a school that operates as a non-profit?

Ashby

No, K-12 tuition as not deductible. My children are in the same situation, but here is no deduction for that. It is not considered charity.

Education expenses for grades K-12 are not deductible on your Federal return, whether for private, public, or home schooling, nor are the expenses for tutoring, after school lessons or after school activities, such as dance lessons, sports, etc.  Some states allow deductions/credits for K-12 education and/or home schooling expenses; if your state has these deductions available, you will be prompted to enter them when you prepare your state return.  (As far as I know, the states that offer any sort of K-12 deductions/credits are Illinois, Indiana, Iowa,Louisiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin)

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing