turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can my tax refund be taken If I called the Offset hotline and it says NO offsets but I do owe on my student loans?

I am currently unable to pay taxes I owe from 2016 I was put in the not collectable status but I am married and even though I don't work I am worried my husband's refund will be taken 

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can my tax refund be taken If I called the Offset hotline and it says NO offsets but I do owe on my student loans?

@Kflowers18 Your spouse can file as an injured spouse to protect his part of the refund if you file a joint return.

INJURED SPOUSE

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1910698-how-do-i-file-form-8379-injured-spouse-allocation

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Searfoss6

Another year another offset for student loans. 8794.00 I DESPEARTLY need gone again. I guess another year of a leaky roof, car problems, and back taxes. 

One thing I have learned about paying back college loans is you must contact them directly. Although a large amount maybe taken, there are still a few bucks left to pay, this will then add up thru the year and cause an offset again. I found this out the hard way. I had still owed 32 dollars. Once I clarified this many times over that that was the finally amount it was good.

WKins2
Expert Alumni

If you are in default of your student loans, your federal refund can be taken, but generally you are notified before hand that it will be. The best course of action is to call your student loan company (or companies) and ask them if they have placed a tax refund offset on your account. If they have, it might not have gotten to the IRS offset department yet. If they haven't, then you should get your refund back .

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did they end up taking it? That's my situation now 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Did you receive a notice that the IRS still has an offset against your account?

You can contact Department of Treasury’s Financial Management Service at 1-800-304-3107 to see whether there is an offset against your account.

If you have an issue with a past-due student loan balance, you may want to contact your lender directly and ask them whether they plan to attach your refunds .

Chionieb

Did you receive your Taxes. 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I recommend contacting the Department of Education to work with their resolution department.  Here is a link with contact information.

swinship

To the best of my knowledge, Credit Karma does/can not list every student loan.  I say this because I use Credit Karma and I'm currently being garnished for a student loan they do not have listed.  You need to check with the DOE to determine the loan giving you trouble.  It took me awhile to get to the bottom of all of that.  So, if I help 1 person with LESS frustration I'm happy to. 

Bpalmer

Fact on a payment plan not in default any longer not on the offset list but yet my was offset called the people I make payments to they have no record of a payment from my tax refund they even said your not 😡 in offset I'm so **bleep**ing lost as to what df is going on 

I'm still in suspense.... You never updated... Dis you get it? Was it in full?

No fareal 🤣but it's forever 🖕them.

• Truuue very strange 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies