turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my son's tuiton to a private Catholic school, pre-k 4, be entered under tax breaks/credits?

It's paid tuition but from what I understand anything under kindergarten counts as child care while his mother and I work.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Rosales

Can my son's tuiton to a private Catholic school, pre-k 4, be entered under tax breaks/credits?

Hello bienkowskic!

Thank you for using TurboTax!

Paying for pre-K can qualify for a tax break, but unfortunately paying for private kindergarten or a private elementary school never does. If you qualify, you get your tax break not as a deduction, but rather as a child-care tax credit.

Putting your child in pre-K to get a head start on his/her education doesn't entitle you to the credit. You can only claim the credit if you need your child to be in the pre-K program so that you can work or look for work. If you're married and filing a joint return, you and your spouse must both be working or job-hunting to claim the child-care credit.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to comment with any additional questions I would be happy to help. Best regards and thank you for using TurboTax!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies