turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my son's tuiton to a private Catholic school, pre-k 4, be entered under tax breaks/credits?

It's paid tuition but from what I understand anything under kindergarten counts as child care while his mother and I work.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Rosales

Can my son's tuiton to a private Catholic school, pre-k 4, be entered under tax breaks/credits?

Hello bienkowskic!

Thank you for using TurboTax!

Paying for pre-K can qualify for a tax break, but unfortunately paying for private kindergarten or a private elementary school never does. If you qualify, you get your tax break not as a deduction, but rather as a child-care tax credit.

Putting your child in pre-K to get a head start on his/her education doesn't entitle you to the credit. You can only claim the credit if you need your child to be in the pre-K program so that you can work or look for work. If you're married and filing a joint return, you and your spouse must both be working or job-hunting to claim the child-care credit.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to comment with any additional questions I would be happy to help. Best regards and thank you for using TurboTax!

Manage cookies