fsandy

Can I get a deduction for my grandson's tuition at MIT. I received a 1098-T from MIT because I paid his tuition, but he is not my dependent.

Turbotax keeps asking me for details of this payment without ever asking if the tuition is for me or a dependent.

IsabellaG

No, you could only claim any Education tax benefits if your grandson was your dependent. 

TurboTax does ask you who the education expense is for, and has a question: Don't see a name listed here? and if you click that you will see that you can't claim Education Expenses for someone who is not your dependent.

I've included screenshots below.

IsabellaG

I've included screenshots below.