turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vlutzpw3

Can i file an amendment for tuition fees I didn't claim last year? I didn't know I could claim book fees, lab fees, and other expenses so I didn't claim it.

My son's tuition is paid for, but there is several other fees listed on the bill from the college such as building maintenance, lab fees, tutoring fees, and other fees that I had to pay that wasn't covered by tuition.  Can I deduct these fees such as the tutoring fees and building maintenance?  If he purchased the books from the book store can I claim them?  He had 1200 dollars in book fees (going for Physics).  I didn't claim these fees on last years taxes because I didn't think I could.  However, I learned I can claim everything except housing, food, and non essential fees.  Can I file an amendment to my 2014 taxes?  I did in turbo tax and it changed my return from $1000.00 to $2500.00.  I thought it might be too late to claim these expenses.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ShannonC

Can i file an amendment for tuition fees I didn't claim last year? I didn't know I could claim book fees, lab fees, and other expenses so I didn't claim it.

You can amend your prior year return. Please see the links below for more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3318732

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies