turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim myself as an exception if I have lived on my own for part of the year, made 10k, and my student loans are in my name. I am 18 and will not turn 19 until 2018.

I have maintained a job for the entire year making $10,000. I want to claim myself because I live on my own, my student loans are in my name, and I have been self supporting for majority of the year. Though I am only 18, will this affect me being able to claim myself? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim myself as an exception if I have lived on my own for part of the year, made 10k, and my student loans are in my name. I am 18 and will not turn 19 until 2018.

You must check the box that says you can be claimed as a dependent if you can be claimed, even if you don't want to.

You can be claimed if you lived with your parents more than half the year, and did not provide more than half your own support.

For the support test, money you spent on your own support (from earnings or savings) counts, as does student loans in your name.  Support provided by your parents includes the value of the home they provide you (value of rental or rental equivalent, food, share of utilities, etc.)  

For the "lived with" test, you are deemed to live with your parents if you are away temporarily, assuming that you would have lived there and that it is reasonable that you would move back after the temporary absence.  College is generally considered a temporary absence and most college students "live with" their parents for tax purposes.  There is no black line rule for determining when you no longer "live with" your parents and are no longer "temporarily away" at school, but living independently.  It depends on the facts and circumstances of each case.

Also note that the tax benefits for an 18 year old with 10K of income will not be large, the America Opportunity Credit is quite limited for students who have little earned income, and you don't qualify if your parents are alive and you provided less than half your own support (even if you do meet the residency test.)

If your parents claim you as a dependent and you do not check the box for being a dependent, the IRS will investigate both sides.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Where do you live? Do you pay rent, utilities, food, etc?

You must check the box that says you can be claimed as a dependent if you can be claimed, even if you don't want to.

You can be claimed if you lived with your parents more than half the year, and did not provide more than half your own support.

For the support test, money you spent on your own support (from earnings or savings) counts, as does student loans in your name.  Support provided by your parents includes the value of the home they provide you (value of rental or rental equivalent, food, share of utilities, etc.)  

For the "lived with" test, you are deemed to live with your parents if you are away temporarily, assuming that you would have lived there and that it is reasonable that you would move back after the temporary absence.  College is generally considered a temporary absence and most college students "live with" their parents for tax purposes.  There is no black line rule for determining when you no longer "live with" your parents and are no longer "temporarily away" at school, but living independently.  It depends on the facts and circumstances of each case.

Also note that the tax benefits for an 18 year old with 10K of income will not be large, the America Opportunity Credit is quite limited for students who have little earned income, and you don't qualify if your parents are alive and you provided less than half your own support (even if you do meet the residency test.)

If your parents claim you as a dependent and you do not check the box for being a dependent, the IRS will investigate both sides.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies