Can I claim my child's tuition

Can I claim my child's tuition

I have a child in college and did get a 1098-T (this is his first year getting one).   He earned $2,500 working over summer (this is first year for him getting a W2).   He also has a custody account - invested in stocks (I am the custodian).   

In the past, I filed separately for him for the capital gains, dividends, interest.  

This is first tax year in which there are education expenses - I am paying his tuition but the 1098-T is tied to his SSN.       Can I claim the tuition expense on my return or do I need to apply it to his.

Can I claim my child's tuition

If you are claiming him as a dependent on your tax return then the education expenses, including Form 1098-T, and credits are entered on your tax return.

Can I claim my child's tuition

Thank you.  And for his earned income, cap gains/int etc - I file that as normal for him separately?