Glenn63

Can i claim 1098-E deduction?

Can i claim 1098-E?  It has my name on it as the borrower.  I took the loan out to pay for my sons college.  My son is now married and no longer a dependent.  Can I still enter this deduction?  Turbo tax is asking who the student was, but since my son is no longer a dependent he is not listed in my return?

MinhT

Can i claim 1098-E deduction?

Yes, you can take the student loan interest deduction if you are the borrower, even if your son is no longer your dependent.

TurboTax asks Whose name was the student loan in? and you can answer that it was you. TurboTax doesn't ask for the student's name.

MinhT

Can i claim 1098-E deduction?