Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i carry over student loan interest deduction for next year if I paid more than the $2500 allowed deduction in 2016, or anything over $2500 is simply lost? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

Can i carry over student loan interest deduction for next year if I paid more than the $2500 allowed deduction in 2016, or anything over $2500 is simply lost? Thank you!

No, you cannot carryover student loan interest in excess of $2,500. Per IRS tax code, the maximum deduction is $2,500, if you qualify. See the screenshot below.

Related information:

View solution in original post

2 Replies
HelenaC

No, you cannot carryover student loan interest in excess of $2,500. Per IRS tax code, the maximum deduction is $2,500, if you qualify. See the screenshot below.

Related information:

jzyhowski

So I was better off investing every $ that I spent repaying loans after 2,500? And waiting to pay until the following year? That way the money I invested would have earned more interest than what was accrued during that time on my loans AND I would have saved money the following year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies