Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can a college student deduct expenses to attend a national conference in his major where there are educational workshops?

He is a college student with an Athletic Training major, and the summer between his junior and senior year he attended the annual National Athletic Trainers'  Association (NATA) Clinical Symposia & AT Expo.  He attended lectures and workshops such as cavader knee anatomy.  Are registration, travel, lodging and food costs deductible?  The school encourages  students to attend the convention, but do not require attendance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Can a college student deduct expenses to attend a national conference in his major where there are educational workshops?

No, those are not qualified education expenses.  They are not tax deductible expenses.  But they do sound like a great investment in his future.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No, those are not qualified education expenses.  They are not tax deductible expenses.  But they do sound like a great investment in his future.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but it was the answer I expected.  Thank you for a quick answer!
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.  I have one in college.  There are a lot of things I WISH were deductible!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies