turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 1 and 2 empty on 1098-t

I did post a question like this a few days ago but I worded it incredibly weird so, this is more clear.

Both boxes are empty despite knowing I paid tuition.

For more info, I know for a fact my cost of tuition costs $1,634.70 for the 2019 Spring semester. I got the pell grant that covered only $1,312 so I paid the remaining $322 balance. I don't know if this also matters but I graduated last in 2019 as well. So, did my college do this wrong? I know when I look at my bursar account it says that the statement date hit on 12/31/2018, but everything else says 2019. I'm confused and frustrated because I'd rather not be taxed.

Also, if it is right and I am allowed to do so, do I add the $1,634.70 amount in the option below box 1 titled"This is not what 'StudentNamel,' paid to this school?" I plan on contacting financial aid tomorrow
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
samiewolf
Returning Member

I have the same issue, can we get a response?

I'm now on the phone with my school's financial aid. Hopefully, I can get this squared away. Have you contacted your school yet?

samiewolf
Returning Member

Not yet, but I will here soon.

I just got off the phone with them, and they receive their 1098-t from the IRS, so it right is given that my charges hit in 2018, but my pell grant hit in 2019, which is ridiculous because I paid my tuition. So, now I'm waiting to see if I am legally allowed to report that tuition amount under the Student name option under box 1.

samiewolf
Returning Member

Hey! So apon doing to IRS research, Box 1 is supposed to be the amount that was paid by you or anything else. If it's blank,  you should  be okay the tuition amount in the "Not what was paid" box. Just be sure to keep your receipt from the school handy.

"IRS description of box 1" - Enter the total amount of payments received for qualified
tuition and related expenses from all sources during the
calendar year

samiewolf
Returning Member

It also says this 

"Include in this boxthe receipt of a payment of past-due qualified tuition orrelated expenses from a previous calendar year, but only if the educational institution previously billed the student for such amount(s)."

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

1098-T's are often incorrect. The 1098-T entry section allows you to indicate that the amount in Box 1 on your 1098-T  is 'not the amount you paid the school' and to type in the amount you actually paid (or was paid on your behalf).

If a grant or scholarship paid your 2019 tuition in 2018, you might have no amount in Box 1, but you can enter the amount of Tuition in TurboTax that offsets the amount of the Grant/Scholarship reported in Box 5.  

Otherwise, entering the 1098-T with no amount in Box 1 (and no amount you have entered yourself) shows that you received a Grant, but paid no Tuition (unless you claimed the Tuition on your 2018 return). 

Don't forget to enter any excess tuition, books, fees, etc. that you paid 'out of pocket' (or with loans). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I didn't see that option, but I went ahead and filed it anyway. Worst that can happen is I don't receive that deduction and have to refile again. But good find! Hopefully everything works out for us!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies