turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I went to massage school but they do not issue 1098t am i elible for a deduction

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I went to massage school but they do not issue 1098t am i elible for a deduction

Tuition paid to a massage school does not qualify as education expenses. And you cannot claim a deduction.

Qualified education expenses are those paid to qualified post-secondary educational institutions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Basically, in order for an educational institution to be a qualified one, it must be eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S. Department of Education. This includes colleges, vocational schools, and a few other types A list of eligible schools can be found at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/eligible-educational-inst">https://www.irs.gov/individuals/eligible-...>

What is the school I'm going to for massage is a qualified school? I attend Lane Community College and it's an accredited program that is furthering my career. Do I qualify for a Lifetime Learning Credit or anything else? Would welding certification programs or plumbing apprenticeships also not qualify for any tax breaks?

Thank you,

Curious

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Would welding certification programs or plumbing apprenticeships and massage also not qualify for any tax breaks?

A. It's not what you study, it's where you study it. Vocational training at an eligible institution, issuing a certificate or credential. counts. 

To be eligible for the tuition credits, the course must be taken at "an eligible institution". The school should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution. In general, an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution, including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. If they issue a 1098-T they are probably an eligible institution.

Enter your school at the link below, to see if it's on the dept. of education list.

https://ope.ed.gov/dapip/#/home

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies