Solved: Am I qualified for lifetime learning credit if I'm an international student (6th year in US)?

Am I qualified for lifetime learning credit if I'm an international student (6th year in US)?

What about the standard deduction?

For the the Lifetime Learning Credit, you must be a citizen or resident alien.

For the standard deduction, you can take the full standard deduction as a resident alien.  As a non-resident alien, you can claim the standard deduction up to the amount of your US based income.

Education Benefit Comparison

IRS Pub for Non-Resident and Resident Aliens: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch01.html

Education Benefit Comparison

Thank you very much!
Here's how I understand: I have been in US since August 2011, thus according to pub 519, I was considered dual state alien in 2013, and resident alien in 2014 and thereafter. However my school tax assistant told me it takes 5 years before I can file tax returns as a resident alien. I wonder if it is safe to assume that I can be considered a resident alien for full calendar year 2016 and therefore qualified for the credit?

I can't say for sure, but,  you would need to file a tax return to get the credit. So, if you're met the 5 year cut-off to file as a resident alien (which I was unaware of) , then I would think you've met the Lifetime Learning Credit requirement as well.

In the "education benefit comparison" above, take a look at the row entitled "Must you or your spouse be a U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien?"

I see, that makes sense. Thank you.