turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Darian

AGI

How do i accurately provide Adjusted Gross income for financial aid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

AGI

I'm not sure what the difficulty is. Just copy the Adjusted Gross Income amount from your tax return. On your 2017 tax return, Adjusted Gross Income is on Form 1040 line 37, Form 1040A line 21, or Form 1040EZ line 4. On your 2018 tax return, Adjusted Gross Income is on Form 1040 line 7.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

AGI

I'm not sure what the difficulty is. Just copy the Adjusted Gross Income amount from your tax return. On your 2017 tax return, Adjusted Gross Income is on Form 1040 line 37, Form 1040A line 21, or Form 1040EZ line 4. On your 2018 tax return, Adjusted Gross Income is on Form 1040 line 7.

Darian

AGI

Thank You!

AGI

What If I filed jointly but FAFSA needs it broken down into the separate  AGI 

AGI

On a Joint return everything is combined.  So you need to look at your actual W2s to break it out.

Hal_Al
Level 15

AGI

TurboTax (TT) generally does not have that breakdown in a nice simple form or worksheet.  You have to break it out manually. 

If the only income you and your spouse have is from W-2 wages, ther is a W-2 summary worksheet that  may  satisfy the FAFSA people as an attachment to a copy of your tax return.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

AGI

@raysusan2015 wrote:

What If I filed jointly but FAFSA needs it broken down into the separate  AGI 

The FAFSA does not ask for your individual AGI. It asks how much each of you earned "from working." That's different from AGI. If you are both employees, all you need is the gross wages in box 1 of your W-2. If you have income from self-employment, your own business, or a partnership, you have to add that.

You do not have to attach any evidence or proof of your income to the FAFSA. Just enter the amount that you each earned from working.

AGI

Where is the AGI located for 2018 on my w2.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

AGI

This is not on your W2.

You can find your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) by:

• Looking at line 7 on page 2 of your 2018 Form 1040
  • Requesting a transcript of your 2018 tax return from the IRS. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

Please click on this TurboTax article for more information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ahell5130

AGI

I need last year's transcript to get my AGI AMOUNT CAN you look up my transcript

AGI

@ahell5130 wrote:

I need last year's transcript to get my AGI AMOUNT CAN you look up my transcript

The 2018 AGI is on the 2018 Federal tax return you filed Form 1040 Line 7

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on View adjusted gross income (AGI)

Or go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If your tax return continues to be rejected with the 2018 AGI then enter a 0 (zero) for the AGI and e-file again.

If this is also rejected then you will have to print and mail the tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies