turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

529 plan accidental withdrawal - tax and penalty implication

I talked to my son's 529 plan administrator about the recent withdrawal, and she told me that when I deposit the exact withdrawal amount back to my son's 529 plan (no time restriction), I will not incur any tax or penalty.  She told me that when I will get 1099-Q and I just have to say that I didn't use the money and put it right back.  I told her that I will be withdrawing the correct amount for my son's college tuition later in the year and she told me that won't have any impact.  I just want to check to see if it is really this simple that I have to do is just depositing the same amount back and there will be no tax or penalty.  I read online that depositing the amount back will be treated as new contribution and will incur tax and penalty, but the 529 plan administrator told me they are the experts dealing with 529 plan and to talk to them directly instead of reading misinformation online.    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

@Cyber1001 said  "I read that if I claim for AOTC, I should subtract the amount of qualified expenses ($4000) that were used to calculate the AOTC "

That is basically correct.  But not exactly.  It means you may not "double dip", use the same expenses for both tax benefits.  But, room and board (board even if the student lives at home) are qualified expenses  for a 529 withdrawal. So, you usually don't have to use all your tuition for the 529.

Cyber1001 said "Otherwise, I might have to pay tax for the capital gain of the money withdrawn from 529 plan.  Is that correct?" 

Yes, but again not exactly.  A portion of the "earnings" (box 2 of the 1099-Q) may be taxable.  The earnings are taxed as ordinary income  (like interest), not at capital gains tax rates. 

Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (usually on the student’s return)

Box 1 (Total distribution) of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 (earnings) is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

You have $1120 of taxable income  

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

40% x 2800= $1120

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

There is a 60 day time frame for putting the money back in the plan.  The plan administrator should know that. 

If you missed the 60 day window, it probably doesn't matter. If you use the money for your my son's college tuition later in the same year, it qualifies as a qualified distribution.  The distribution can be taken early (or late), as long as it's used (spent) in the same calendar year. 

Thanks for confirming that all I have to do is to put the money back (within 60 days) to not incur the tax and the penalty.  I will withdraw a reduced amount of money later ($4000 less) for my son's college qualified expenses.  I read that if I claim for AOTC, I should subtract the amount of qualified expenses ($4000) that were used to calculate the AOTC .  Otherwise, I might have to pay tax for the capital gain of the money withdrawn from 529 plan.  Is that correct?   Just want to make sure that I withdraw the right amount of money from 529 plan to get the best tax benefit.  By the way, our income qualify for full AOTC.      

Hal_Al
Level 15

@Cyber1001 said  "I read that if I claim for AOTC, I should subtract the amount of qualified expenses ($4000) that were used to calculate the AOTC "

That is basically correct.  But not exactly.  It means you may not "double dip", use the same expenses for both tax benefits.  But, room and board (board even if the student lives at home) are qualified expenses  for a 529 withdrawal. So, you usually don't have to use all your tuition for the 529.

Cyber1001 said "Otherwise, I might have to pay tax for the capital gain of the money withdrawn from 529 plan.  Is that correct?" 

Yes, but again not exactly.  A portion of the "earnings" (box 2 of the 1099-Q) may be taxable.  The earnings are taxed as ordinary income  (like interest), not at capital gains tax rates. 

Example:

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship

Box 1 (Total distribution) of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 (earnings) is $2800

40% x 2800= $1120

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

40% x 2800= $1120

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. 

@Hal_Al Thanks for such detailed response! In your scenario, if I only withdraw $3000 from my son's 529 plan, there should be no tax on the earnings.  I will have to file my tax return to claim for AOTC, and my son has to file his tax return for 1099-Q even though he doesn't have any income.  Is that right?  Also, I would like to confirm that non-qualified education expenses from a 529 account are expenses such as transportation, personal and miscellaneous expenses.  I would assume that tuition surcharge by some colleges is counted as tuition.  

@Hal_Al By the way, if I have the distribution from my son's 529 plan sent to me, I will then be the recipient of the distribution that gets reported on 1099-Q, right?  In that case, do I file my tax return for 1099-Q and to claim for AOTC as well?  Thanks!  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. If I only withdraw $3000 from my son's 529 plan, there should be no tax on the earnings.  I will have to file my tax return to claim for AOTC, and my son has to file his tax return for 1099-Q even though he doesn't have any income.  Is that right?

A. Yes, you would file for the AOTC, on your return.   Your son  could enter the 1099-Q in TT, but shouldn't. It just risks mistakes.  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms.  On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

Q.. Also, I would like to confirm that non-qualified education expenses from a 529 account are expenses such as transportation, personal and miscellaneous expenses. 

A.  Food and housing are qualified personal expenses, for a 529.  But not transportation, clothing entertainment and other personal stuff.

Q. I would assume that tuition surcharge by some colleges is counted as tuition. 

A. Yes, as would computers and software used for school. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. f I have the distribution from my son's 529 plan sent to me, I will then be the recipient of the distribution that gets reported on 1099-Q, right?  In that case, do I file my tax return for 1099-Q and to claim for AOTC as well? 

A. Yes, the "recipient"  files the 1099-Q, if it needs to be filed, even if you are also claiming the AOTC.  But, in the $3000 example, you  would not need to file the 1099-Q because the box 1 amount is fully covered by expenses.  You already know none of it is taxable.

@Hal_Al Really appreciate all your help!  🙂

Hi, Hal_Al

Thanks for addressing my questions in the past with such details and clarity.  I have a follow up question.  I am ready to file for tax return and found out that on the state tax form, it asks to enter the total 529 plan distribution amount and the amount not used for qualified expenses.  As I mentioned earlier I had mistakenly withdrew 529 plan with the wrong amount and put all of it back to a qualified plan within 60 days and then withdrew the right amount later in the year.  Q1: So on my state form, do I put the total of the two distribution, and then 0 as the amount not used for qualified plan since the first withdrawal was transferred back right away to a qualified plan and not used at all?  If I don't enter 0 as the amount not used for qualified plan, I will be taxed and penalized for the withdrawal.  I don't see a line item indicating about the 60-day rules on the state form like the federal form.  Q2: Or do I just enter the 2nd withdrawal amount for the total distribution amount since it was the correct amount which was actually used for the qualified plan?  

Hal_Al
Level 15

@mimi57001   Which state?  I may not be able to help you with a state specific question.  The general rule is that the taxable portion automatically flows from the federal to the state and nothing additional is needed. With that caveat,   it appears your questions are straight forward.

Q.  So on my state form, do I put the total of the two distribution, and then 0 as the amount not used for qualified plan  Or do I just enter the 2nd withdrawal amount for the total distribution amount since it was the correct amount which was actually used for the qualified plan? 

A.  Either way accomplishes the job, since 0 will be the amount not used for qualified expenses. If you're worried about the state matching 1099-Qs, then enter both. I'm of the opinion that the rollover "doesn't count" and you should only enter the 2nd one.  

Thanks so much!  It is for MN state.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies