turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm an independent contractor for part of 2016 tax year. Turbotax is asking me the name of my business, etc. Am I filling this information out with my own information?

Should I be using the business name which I worked for as an independent contractor?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I'm an independent contractor for part of 2016 tax year. Turbotax is asking me the name of my business, etc. Am I filling this information out with my own information?

Your business name is your name if you haven't incorporated your business (got EIN).  Simply leave this field blank. The same applies to the address and social security number.  Your home is your business number and your SSN is the business number.

You should not use other business's name as your own. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Your business name is your name if you haven't incorporated your business (got EIN).  Simply leave this field blank. The same applies to the address and social security number.  Your home is your business number and your SSN is the business number.

You should not use other business's name as your own. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies