turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wellcraft

A ltd partnership was liquidated on in May 2016 and I am sure I haven't been paid the amount I invested so I have a loss in excess of 10k can i claim that?

I have been receiving K-1 every year but the profit is nowhere near the investment. I am loosing in excess of 10000.00

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A ltd partnership was liquidated on in May 2016 and I am sure I haven't been paid the amount I invested so I have a loss in excess of 10k can i claim that?

As a partner in a partnership, you should be tracking your basis in this investment.  This begins with your capital contribution and is adjusted each year by the applicable lines on the K-1.

Once you receive your final K-1, you will adjust your basis.  Only when you have done this will you be able to determine your final gain or loss.

If your liquidating distribution exceeds your basis, causing a "negative" basis, you will have a gain to the extent of this negative amount (essentially putting you to zero).  If you still have basis after subtracting your liquidating distribution, then you will have a capital loss to the extent of your remaining basis.

See the attached IRS commentary on adjusting your basis:

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1065sk1/ch01.html

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

As a partner in a partnership, you should be tracking your basis in this investment.  This begins with your capital contribution and is adjusted each year by the applicable lines on the K-1.

Once you receive your final K-1, you will adjust your basis.  Only when you have done this will you be able to determine your final gain or loss.

If your liquidating distribution exceeds your basis, causing a "negative" basis, you will have a gain to the extent of this negative amount (essentially putting you to zero).  If you still have basis after subtracting your liquidating distribution, then you will have a capital loss to the extent of your remaining basis.

See the attached IRS commentary on adjusting your basis:

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1065sk1/ch01.html

wellcraft

Thank you very much exactly what I needed to know. Appreciate it very much!!

You're welcome.

I understand this answer, and thank you, but where in TurboTax would we enter the final gain/loss?  I don't want to alter my K-1 in TurboTax to differ from the one I received, but that seems to be the only way to include it in my TurboTax return.

@Rick19744 @wellcraft 

Never mind.  I found the answer in another post.  Form 8949.

@wellcraft @Rick19744 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies