Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am preparing taxes for my inactive S-corp just now with zero activities and just realized that that the the March 15 deadline for extension has past. What do I do now?

I already purchased TurboTax for filing my business in 2017 but just realized that I am 3 days past the March 15 deadline for filing extension. What should I do to ensure that my e-file is received by IRS? It has no activities but am keeping the business for now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I am preparing taxes for my inactive S-corp just now with zero activities and just realized that that the the March 15 deadline for extension has past. What do I do now?

You can still e-file your 1120S return, and there's nothing special for you to do to ensure that. But because it is late, you will be subject to a late filing penalty. There's no exception for an S-Corp that had no business activity for the year. When S corporations fail to file Form 1120S by the due date or by the extended due date, the IRS will impose a minimum penalty of $195 for each month or part of the month the return is late multiplied by the number of shareholders. See this link to a discussion of S-Corp Filing Dates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies