Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Work Truck Vandalism where do I write off mileage for rental?

Someone tried to steal my truck but did not take it.  The damage done due to vandalism put the truck in the shop.  Where do I write in mileage for rental used during the time it took to fix my truck?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

If your truck was listed for your self-employment business you should enter the direct costs of the rental and any fuel purchases as business expenses rather than mileage for that time.

If the truck was yours but used to earn W-2 income, no amount is deductible.  The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act eliminated the Unreimbursed Business Expenses deduction for tax years 2018 - 2025.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The rental was covered by insurance but the mileage was used to go to the job.  Being self-employed There are no W2's.  I pay taxes when I file.  I did have a $500.00 deductible I'm trying to figure where to plug that in.  I have not added the amount it cost to fix it to my expenses, since insurance covered all but the deductible. 

I'm also preparing form 4684.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You don’t enter mileage on a rental, only a lease. The rental costs are not part of your vehicle expense. Enter the total charge (including any surcharge for mileage) plus fuel costs as Rental Expenses.

The deductible amount is figured into the calculation and does not have to be added separately. After you enter your loss, TurboTax will ask if you insurance reimbursed any costs. Enter your total reimbursement (which will be $500 less than your loss) or your loss after insurance will be $500, the deductible amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies