Why do I have to do schedule c if I never had my own business?

I do not have a business, yet for state tax it keeps asking me about business expenses and income. Can I say no? There is no option for no

Did you possibly have a form of self-employed income? 1099-Misc?

Your question is very common - sorry for the confusion.

Information from Form 1099-MISC can be entered in 2 different locations, depending on your situation:

Self-Employment - when the income relates to your normal job or something you do regularly. This income will end up on a Sch C, subject self-employment tax and expenses can be entered to reduce the taxable amount.

Other Common Income - something you did only once - and not related to your normal job and don't plan on doing this type of work in the future.

If the second example sounds like you - enter this information in Turbo Tax as follows: Go to Federal Taxes - then click on Wages & Income, next look for the section: Other Common Income, then click on Start to the right of "Form 1099-MISC."

I hope this helped you. Thank you for using Turbo Tax.