Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

slsarver

Where do I deduct for eye glasses

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Eye glasses will be part of your qualified medical expenses and can be deducted on Schedule A.

However, see below if Filing Schedule A or taking the Standard Deduction  will be your best option.  TurboTax will walk you through this step by step.

How to claim medical expense deductions

One of the most important things to know about deducting medical expenses is you have to itemize deductions on Schedule A to receive a tax benefit.

When you file your Form 1040, you typically have the option of itemizing or taking the standard deduction — a predetermined amount based on your filing status.

For 2020, the available standard deductions are as follows:

Filing Status2020 Standard Deduction

Single$12,400

Married Filing Jointly$24,800

Married Filing Separately$12,400

Head of Household$18,650

To benefit from medical expense deductions, your total itemized deductions — deductible medical expenses, state and local taxes, home mortgage interest and charitable contributions — must be greater than your available standard deduction.

In addition, in 2020, you can only deduct unreimbursed medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI), found on line 11 of your 2020 Form 1040.

For example, if your AGI is $50,000, the first $3,750 of qualified expenses (7.5% of $50,000) don't count. If you had $5,000 of unreimbursed medical expenses in 2020, you would only be able to deduct $1,250 on Schedule A.

Just be aware that only prescription eyeglasses qualify.  "Readers" that you buy in, say, a drug store do not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies