Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What to enter for Depreciation for expensed assets with Sale of Business Assets Form 4797

Self-employed with business website and domain. Stopped working previous year due to disability. 

Following year, selling website domain and website content (not entire business). 

Filling out form 4797 in turbotax.

I expensed both in previous years -- website & domain as advertising costs.

1) What do I put in the field for "Depreciation taken on this property"?  0??

2) Next question asks if this is property I took a depreciation on. It's not. Very confused what to do here.

3) Figure I can still expense costs to maintain the website like hosting fees. Do these get taken off price of sale or in regular business expenses?

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What to enter for Depreciation for expensed assets with Sale of Business Assets Form 4797

Elect to capitalize the costs to maintain and add to basis.....your depreciation is 0 because these were advertising expenses written off and now your basis in them is also 0 = 100% gain.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Elect to capitalize the costs to maintain and add to basis.....your depreciation is 0 because these were advertising expenses written off and now your basis in them is also 0 = 100% gain.

Thank you very much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies