Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbox tax 2023 1099 misc boxes numbers don't line up with actual 1099 misc form

Hi, 

I'm self employed and do a schedule C and I am familiar with how to do my taxes.  Today I received a 1099 MISC and went to put it into Turbo Tax 2023 Home and Business.  Boxes 1 -12 descriptions match in TT with the real form.  At box 13 on the real form, TT gets off by one box number.  In the 1099 MISC form I received there are 18 boxes with the last box being State Income.  This is consistent with other 1099 MISC forms I've received before and seems to be in the last several revisions of the form from what I can tell.  I have a form from 2022 that also has 18 boxes.

TT does not have a box 18 for 1099 MISC.  TT only has 17 boxes because they start getting off at box 13.  In TT box 16 is State/Payer's state number and box 17 is state income.  Those are boxes 17 and 18 on the real form.
TT is wrong on the step by step instructions guiding one to enter the information into boxes 16 and 17.  I switched to forms to see what TT actually did.  I clicked the relevant 1099 MISC and in FORMS TT does correctly have a box 18 and the information is correctly entered.  This seems to be a bug in the STEP BY STEP side of the program. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Turbox tax 2023 1099 misc boxes numbers don't line up with actual 1099 misc form

Boxes 16-18 are at the bottom of the form in Step by Step mode.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am not entering the 1099 MISC under personal income.  For me it goes in the business income section.  My screen does not look like that.  This is what I see.  No box 18.ScreenHunter 166.png

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The forms are updated and will file correctly. The program is constantly being changed. What is important is to get the right information in the right boxes and have the forms correct for filing.

Box 18 on the 1099 is state income, which you should enter in box 17 labelled state income in the program. 

Box 16 is tax withheld on the form matches to box 15 in the program. 

Box 17 on the 1099-misc matches to box 16 in the program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks.  I understand that the data is in the correct boxes on the actual forms sent to the IRS like I stated in my opening post.  I am not asking a question in my post.  I am simply pointing out the bug if no one else has so it can be fixed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies