turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmf19340

Turbotax is saying my business is an LLC when it is not. How can I change this iincorrect designation?"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax is saying my business is an LLC when it is not. How can I change this iincorrect designation?"

You have inadvertently activated the Calif LLC return. To turn it off, go to the Calif Topic List "Business / Sch C Wks" screen that asks "Is *business name* a Single Member LLC for California filing purposes?", and answer No.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

What kind of business is it? Sole proprietor? Corporation?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

TurboTax personal versions (such as Home and Business) can only be used to file a SCH C for a single owner business - be it a sole proprietorship or single member LLC.
If you have any other type of business, then that business is required to file a physically separate return of it's own. For that, you have to use TurboTax Business. Unfortunately, TurboTax Business is not available as an online product or for MACS. It's for the WIndows platform only. So if you have access to a windows computer you can purchase TurboTax Business at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/...>
jmf19340

Sole proprietor. Where can I enter this business entity type so it doesn't default to the incorrect  LLC designation? Thx  Carl
Carl
Level 15

You have nothing to change. For tax purposes and for your tax return, the only difference between a sole proprietorship and a single member LLC, is the spelling. Literally! So since there's nothing wrong, you have nothing to correct.

Is it on a California state return?  Where is it showing LLC?  Did you type that in as part of tne name?
jmf19340

Yes, the problem is on the CA state return and the incorrect LLC designation generates an LLC reporting form and an $800 LLC tax! And No, I did not type it in as part of the name and I did not type it in anywhere. I am looking for the place where this would have been entered (by default?) so I can change it and remove the error and the forms and $800 LLC tax that it generates. That is what I need to find - the spot where this info that my business is an LLC gets entered or can be modified. So far no luck finding that. Thx.

You have inadvertently activated the Calif LLC return. To turn it off, go to the Calif Topic List "Business / Sch C Wks" screen that asks "Is *business name* a Single Member LLC for California filing purposes?", and answer No.

jmf19340

Thank you!

Here I just went though the steps and made some screen shots,  Let me know if this works and helps

Go to the State tab
Let's get your State Taxes Done Right - Click on Continue
Status of your State Returns - Click Continue up by California
Then click Edit by Income & Adjustments
Then on the page Income California handles Differently click Revisit by Business Profit or Loss Adjustment
Click Edit by the Business Name
Next screen,  Is your Business owned by a Single Member LLC?  Click on NO at bottom

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies