Solved: Trying to complete 1099-MISC for husband music performance and it is making me fill out schedule C and business info. He is independent. there is no business code.

Trying to complete 1099-MISC for husband music performance and it is making me fill out schedule C and business info. He is independent. there is no business code.

He played with a band and was handed a 1099-MISC that I'm trying to record.  There is no business code that we have.  how can I get this completed accurately.  total is 650.  Does this mean that his music is a side small business now?

The business code is for statistically purposes; you simply choose the number that best fits the description of what he does. You'll find the codes at the bottom of this IRS resource by category: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sc/ch02.html

You can also just enter 999999 which is the miscellaneous code. Anyone who starts working for themselves without forming a separate business, is considered to be self-employed, ie. have a business. Many people receive a form 1099-misc with nonemployee compensation, which means, for tax purposes you have your own self-employed business.

What is NAICS code 711510 - Independent Artists, Writers, and Performers - this industry comprises ... freelance musicians and vocalists are classified in industry 711130, musical groups and artists; ..