Solved: Trying to complete 1099-MISC for husband music performance and it is making me fill out schedule C and business info. He is independent. there is no business code.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to complete 1099-MISC for husband music performance and it is making me fill out schedule C and business info. He is independent. there is no business code.

He played with a band and was handed a 1099-MISC that I'm trying to record.  There is no business code that we have.  how can I get this completed accurately.  total is 650.  Does this mean that his music is a side small business now?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Trying to complete 1099-MISC for husband music performance and it is making me fill out schedule C and business info. He is independent. there is no business code.

The business code is for statistically purposes; you simply choose the number that best fits the description of what he does. You'll find the codes at the bottom of this IRS resource by category: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sc/ch02.html

You can also just enter 999999 which is the miscellaneous code. Anyone who starts working for themselves without forming a separate business, is considered to be self-employed, ie. have a business. Many people receive a form 1099-misc with nonemployee compensation, which means, for tax purposes you have your own self-employed business.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The business code is for statistically purposes; you simply choose the number that best fits the description of what he does. You'll find the codes at the bottom of this IRS resource by category: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sc/ch02.html

You can also just enter 999999 which is the miscellaneous code. Anyone who starts working for themselves without forming a separate business, is considered to be self-employed, ie. have a business. Many people receive a form 1099-misc with nonemployee compensation, which means, for tax purposes you have your own self-employed business.

View solution in original post

Level 15

What is NAICS code 711510 - Independent Artists, Writers, and Performers - this industry comprises ... freelance musicians and vocalists are classified in industry 711130, musical groups and artists; ..
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings